Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Honduras Update#1


Our team arrived safely and without incident in Honduras on Friday.  On Friday, we toured the centers where we would be working this week to see how many kids were there and meet with the directors. We painted an outside courtyard at Genesis all day on Saturday that was a great team-building experience. Everyone worked hard and I didn't think we could finish the assignment they gave us because the space was so large but we did finish it. All of our interpreters helped us and we were able to get to know them better as we will be relying on them so much the remainder of this week.
The team attended Pier Church on Sunday and is just taking off to visit a waterfall and zipline. You can google Waterfall in Honduras to see it. Several of the teenage boys from Genesis are joining us and some Orphan Helpers staff. The other boys from Genesis have school on Sunday and could not go.

I am actually missing all the festivities today because I woke up at 2:30am with a stomach bug and I am praying this is gone soon. I have not gotten sick before on a trip and it seems to be isolated to the stomach! I'm glad it's me instead of someone else. I'm just going to stay as hydrated as possbile and unpack all of our supplies we will be using Monday - Thursday. Attending church is one of my favorite things to do. When I was at FBCN last Sunday, I was so excited that I'd be worshiping in Honduras in one week and seeing a glimpse of heaven again.

We are having devotions each morning and evening and God has really weaved a great group together of young and old. The Bassette's are so nice and Marisa Mercado is also a wonderful addition.

We have seen a few children that we met last year. That has been very special for the team members. Unfortunately, it does not look, on the outside, like much has changed in Honduras. The least of these are still getting the least. We don't know the full picture God has for Honduras but we are filling in the piece we have been tasked to fill this week by planting seeds.

We had a lot of trouble accessing the Internet when we first arrived but it seems to have stabilized now.
Our money was wired successfully so no issues there. Billy Thornton and I bought the paint and supplies we needed for one project yesterday. We are painting the main room at the center for young ladies this week. I'm glad we incorporated some building projects into the ministry work so we can leave each place better than we found it - spiritually and physically.

Thanks for the opportunity to serve in this way.
Tracy for the Honduras Team